Since part of my job entails policy analysis and awareness on the state level, Governing magazine's website is a frequent stop on my web-browsing tour. They have a fun feature called "Daily Digit" wherein they share a number and it's significance. If you've ever read Harper's then it's much like their fun monthly index.
All of the numbers are guaranteed to make you go Hmmmmm - many will totally blow your socks off. Here are just a few to get you hooked like I am:
- 13 million: Estimated number of sandbags distributed in flood ravaged Illinois, Iowa and Missouri
- More than 2700: Number of marriages performed in California on the first day of legalized same sex marriages (typical weekly state average: 2460)
- 1.7 billion pounds: Estimated amount of non-biodegradable cigarette butts that end up in the world's lakes and oceans each year
- $4.5 million: Total of unpaid sewer/water bills owed by the NYC Economic Development Corporation - 22 years worth.
- 25 million: Approximate number of medically under-insured adults in the US in 2007 - a 60% increase from 2003.
- 33: Number of Texans who have served a total of 427 years in prison and were eventually cleared by DNA testing.